The ENT department takes care of patients to treat the problems regarding ear, nose, and throat. At PRK Hospitals we have skilled ENT specialists who are trained in surgical management and treatment of patients with diseases and disorders of ear, nose, and throat also problems related to head and neck. We at PRK Hospitals are dedicated to serve the best in class treatment at our place.
At PRK Hospitals we have well established audiology, cochlear implant surgery and rehabilitation expert team. Our experts use well equipped microscopes to carry out the tests, also special care towards infants and children through neonatal screening to detect the loss of hearing and other therapeutic audiological procedures.
What is ENT?
The full form of ENT is Ear, Nose and Throat but an ENT specialist also treats head and neck area. Usually this ENT doctor should be referred by a general physician, so when you wanted to visit ENT take advice from your doctor to refer. When you first visit an ENT, let him know the symptoms so that he proceeds to perform a physical and visual examination.
This examination includes looking in eyes, nose and throat using a light. An ENT is also called as Otolaryngologist. He uses a special instrument called an otoscope to peer into your ears, but ensures that it will not hurt you. He also uses other instruments to peer, pole and prod but these procedures will not cause any discomfort. If you feel any discomfort immediately tell the ENT so that can provide the appropriate drugs to relief your pain.
Tests that are done during your first visit might be any of the following depending on your condition.
- ENT Examination: This examination includes inspection of face, ears, nose, throat and neck. Here examination for eardrum is done using some instrument for fluid. This is usually called as pneumatic otoscopy or tympanometry.
- Audiometric Testing: This test commonly done for the complaints like hearing loss or other balance disorders. Here the audiologist records the sounds you hear at every frequency in a audiogram that tells your pass fail screening test.
- Nasal Endoscopy: This is usually performed in diagnosing the patients with nasal, allergy and sinus complaints. Once decongestant combined spray is applied on your nose, practitioner passes a small telescope to have widen view into the nostril to check abnormal swelling, enlarged turbinate’s, nasal polyps, sinus drainage etc.
- Allergy Testing: This test is recommended for the patients with allergy, asthma or other nasal polyp’s complaints. Some skin pricks are performed with common airborne antigens to calculate a safe dose of immunotherapy.
- CT Scans: This test is done on sinuses and middle ear by the physician where you will be exposed to 80-90% of less radiation and the results are obtained in 60 seconds.
Reason to see an ENT:
As these are very sensitive organs any problems regarding Ear, Nose and Throat should not be neglected. In some cases if the treatment is not taken in the early stages it may lead to serious problems such as cancer, or any other severe infections. At PRK Hospitals we are equipped with advanced treatments in ENT.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy Barla
MBBS. MS (ENT)