Surgical Oncology department at PRK Hospitals offers comprehensive care that includes diagnosis and treatment of various types of Cancers. Our oncology team has experienced medical oncologists, surgical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists who can find the best possible management for an individual patient considering the physical, social, psychological and emotional status of the patient. Our Oncologists are closely associated with other teams like specialized in plastic surgery, gastroenterology, urology, cardiothoracic surgery, radiology, medical genetics, pathology, palliative care, physiotherapy etc.
Our specialist oncologists perform various surgeries with comprehensive state-of-art facilities. We provide surgical Oncology services for below:
- Head and Neck cancers
- Thoracic Cancers
- Gynaecological Cancers
- Skin and Soft Tissue cancers
- Orthopaedic Oncology
What is Surgical Oncology?
Surgical Oncology is a branch of medicine that focuses on surgical treatments of tumors. Specialists who treat various tumors are called as oncologists. These oncologists treat cancers involving treatments like chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy etc. Depending on the severity of the tumor latest techniques like laparoscopy or robotic surgery are used to remove the tumor.
Procedures involved in Surgical Oncology:
- Appendectomy: In this surgical process appendix is removed when irritated and inflamed. When an infection blocks appendix it leads to infection or more serious than that.
- Bowel Resection: In this surgical procedure, a part of large intestine is removed to prevent colon cancer.
- Flexible Robotic Surgery: In this robotic surgery, tiny areas of mouth, throat, rectum and colon are treated.
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy: In this process, cancer cells in the abdomen are directly treated.
- Surgical options for lymphedema: In this process lymphatic fluid which is excess is collected that causes swelling in arms and legs.
- Pneumonectomy: This process is performed during the removal of an entire lung which is infected.
- Robotic Surgery: This has tiny incisions to remove infections.
- Thoracotomy: This is a surgical procedure to open the chest cavity through a small incision to treat lungs, heart, diaphragm etc.
- Thyroidectomy: In this process thyroid gland is surgically removed using various procedures.
- Tracheoesophageal puncture: Patients who undergo this process will be cured from laryngeal cancer.
Dr. Rajesh Goud E
Consultant Surgical Oncologist
Kidney Dialysis Center in Hyderabad
Kidney Dialysis Center in Hyderabad Kidneys are the beans-like structures present on either side of the spine. Kidneys…
Kidney Function & Importance: Consequences of a Kidney Failure
Kidney Function and Importance: The Consequences of a Kidney Failure Kidneys are bean-shaped organs found on either side…
Rhesus Factor (Rh) & its significance in Pregnancy – In Detail PRK Hospitals
Rh Factor & its significance in Pregnancy The Rhesus factor, often known as the Rh factor, is a…
Catatonic Schizophrenia : Very Specific Psychological Disorder
Catatonic Schizophrenia – In a Nutshell – About a very specific psychological disorder Catatonic schizophrenia is a severe…
Frequently Asked Questions
Surgery works in different ways to treat cancer:
- Removal of entire tumor mass
- Debulk (decrease) the tumor mass to enable easy and accessible surgery
- To relieve cancer symptoms
Surgery might be sometimes associated with some problems but these could be managed when you contact your doctor or healthcare team. The common problems that occur are:
Pain is one of the common problems occurring after surgery, usually in the part of the body being surgically operated. The extent of pain depends on the extent of the surgery and the part of the body surgery is done. You should always report your doctor or healthcare team in case the pain is troubling you.
Post-surgery there can be chances of the surgical site infection or other related infections. But few precautions can reduce the risks and in case an infection occurs, your doctor will take care. To prevent infections, you should follow doctor’s instructions related to caring for the surgery area.
- Other risks:
Damage to the tissues around tumor
Reactions to anesthesia
The body undergoes many changes when you undergo any kind of surgery. Your body requires enough nutrition to cope the stress and to help in proper healing of your body post-surgery. Special diet containing of a high-protein, high-calorie diet is required before surgery. You should always talk with your doctor and/or a dietician to help with eating problems caused by surgery.