Surgical Oncology department at PRK Hospitals offers comprehensive care that includes diagnosis and treatment of various types of Cancers. Our oncology team has experienced medical oncologists, surgical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists who can find the best possible management for an individual patient considering the physical, social, psychological and emotional status of the patient. Our Oncologists are closely associated with other teams like specialized in plastic surgery, gastroenterology, urology, cardiothoracic surgery, radiology, medical genetics, pathology, palliative care, physiotherapy etc.
Our specialist oncologists perform various surgeries with comprehensive state-of-art facilities. We provide surgical Oncology services for below:
- Head and Neck cancers
- Thoracic Cancers
- Gynaecological Cancers
- Skin and Soft Tissue cancers
- Orthopaedic Oncology
What is Surgical Oncology?
Surgical Oncology is a branch of medicine that focuses on surgical treatments of tumors. Specialists who treat various tumors are called as oncologists. These oncologists treat cancers involving treatments like chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy etc. Depending on the severity of the tumor latest techniques like laparoscopy or robotic surgery are used to remove the tumor.
Procedures involved in Surgical Oncology:
- Appendectomy: In this surgical process appendix is removed when irritated and inflamed. When an infection blocks appendix it leads to infection or more serious than that.
- Bowel Resection: In this surgical procedure, a part of large intestine is removed to prevent colon cancer.
- Flexible Robotic Surgery: In this robotic surgery, tiny areas of mouth, throat, rectum and colon are treated.
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy: In this process, cancer cells in the abdomen are directly treated.
- Surgical options for lymphedema: In this process lymphatic fluid which is excess is collected that causes swelling in arms and legs.
- Pneumonectomy: This process is performed during the removal of an entire lung which is infected.
- Robotic Surgery: This has tiny incisions to remove infections.
- Thoracotomy: This is a surgical procedure to open the chest cavity through a small incision to treat lungs, heart, diaphragm etc.
- Thyroidectomy: In this process thyroid gland is surgically removed using various procedures.
- Tracheoesophageal puncture: Patients who undergo this process will be cured from laryngeal cancer.
Dr. Rajesh Goud E
MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Mch – (Surgical Oncology)